(Camas, WA) – Eric Moorehead just wanted to take a long relaxing soak in his tub. After witnessing his beloved cocker spaniel “Butterscotch” get brutally mauled by wild coyotes during what he had hoped to be a scenic hike through the Cascades, Mr. Moorehead was looking to unwind and forget about the world for a while. Little did he know, his problems were just beginning…
“I stopped by this little Asian market to pick up a 6 pack of my favorite pale ale and that’s when I noticed the bath salts. I figured, what the heck… I thought they were a little pricey for such a miniscule amount, but you know these little corner markets jack up the price of everything. I thought the guy kind of looked at me funny when I requested to purchase them. I wish I would have known then what I do now.”
REST, RELAXATION AND BATH SALT RELATED CHEMICAL BURNS
Arriving home, Eric unplugged his phone and immediately began to draw a bath. He walked into his kitchen and poured himself a glass of his favorite brew before he popped the lid off the bath salts and made his way back to the tub. “I grabbed the book I was reading at the time and intended to have a nice long hot relaxing soak while I finished a couple chapters and enjoyed my beer.” He poured the caustic drug into the steaming water and something struck him as being a bit odd; “It had no smell. I expected to be overwhelmed with some kind of soothing effervescent tropical scent. I couldn’t smell anything at all.” Eric shrugged it off, finished his beer, shed his clothes and jumped in the the water.
After nearly 15 minutes into the bath he began to notice something strange. “My whole body just started tingling. It was not immediately unpleasant. I thought that perhaps this was the effect the bath salts were supposed to have, like… Some kind of mentholated additive was involved similar to what is in ointments to relieve sore joints. When the tingling turned to intense burning, I knew there was something wrong.”
“IT BEGAN WITH A MILD TINGLING SENSATION…”
Eric immediately got up and attempted to hose the residual bath salts off his burning skin with a detachable shower head but this only seemed to make things worse. “It felt like someone was rubbing millions of microscopic shards of broken glass into every pore. I knew I was in trouble. I got out of the bathtub and looked in the mirror and my entire body was red and blistering in some spots. The burning was so intense that I began to feel nauseous and faint. I lost consciousness after dialing 911. I woke up in the hospital a few days later.”
The “bath salts” Eric used were not the ones most of us are familiar with. Instead he unwittingly created a toxic cauldron with the controversial legal hallucinogen otherwise known as “Spice”. Spice has been responsible for countless deranged attacks across the States and has the frightening reputation of driving people insane.
Frequently there are different chemical combinations used in its production so as to stay one step ahead of the law. It’s reported that whatever compounds used in the “bath salts” Eric Moorehead purchased acted violently with the addition of soap and warm water leading to the caustic brew that left chemical burns over 80% of Eric’s body.
Mr. Moorehead now says he intends to sue the company that produces the bath salt for not including appropriate warning labels on their product. “How could anyone know the product isn’t intended for its labeled use? You wouldn’t make a new kind of carpet cleaner and call it “baby formula” would you? How is this any different? How is this even legal? Someone needs to be held accountable for my pain and suffering.”